Gutti Kaakarkaye. Pavakka Nirachadhu. Masala Pavakkai. Pavakkai Masala.
Bitter Gourd/ Bitter Melon – 4-8
Red onions finely chopped 1 large bowl full
Tomatoes 4 finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste 1 teaspoon
Jaggery/brown sugar 1 gooseberry size
Garam masala powder 1/2 spoon
Turmeric powder 1/4 spoon
Chili powder 1 spoon
Coriander powder 1 spoon
Cumin seeds powder 1 spoon
Curry leaves few
Sesame oil few spoons.
1. Trim the ends of the gourd. Scrap away the serrated ridges. Wash and clean. Now, make an incision at one end vertically. Remove the pith and seeds, using back of a spoon or any instrument of your choice.
2. Now one could steam cook the gourd for 10 minutes. When the vegetable is semi done, set aside. I skipped this step tho’.
3. Heat oil, in a pan…add cumin seeds, allow this to pop and crackle. Then add ginger-garlic paste. Fry them for a while and followed by onions. Fry till they are translucent. Add tomatoes plus jaggery, cover and cook over medium heat.
4. Add salt, turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin and garam masala powders. When the masala turns aromatic enough, turn off the heat.
5. Stuff this masala into bitter gourd. One can stitch the gourd using needle and thread or simply leave it.
6. Heat oil in a pan. Add this stuffed vegetable and remaining masala too. Fry them over high heat, without lid. Let the vegetable turn to golden brown color and slightly crispy.
Garnish with fried curry leaves. Serve this side dish for Pulkah roti or curd rice. Enjoy:)