For someone as enamored of Indian cooking as myself, it is rather surprising that I seriously omitted posting some of the best recipes that I cook everyday! On a busy weeknight, its my go to dish. I will vary the vegetables depending on what is available. Some of the pairings are the absolute winners, so here is my take and Potatoes and Okras. It may sound like an odd combination for the first time, but…feel free to toss them together, you will be surprised with the result.
- 2 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 lb okras, ends trimmed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- Cook the potatoes briefly in boiling water and pat dry them, set aside.
- In a wide wok, heat oil. Add the whole spices, followed by ginger-garlic paste and salt.
- Further add the okras and stir-fry them over high.
- Now add the potatoes too plus powdered spices. Fry over high heat, until it comes to dry subzi consistency.
- Serve to go with your Indian meals.