Other Names Duck Curry. Duck Stew. Duck Kuzhambu. Duck Meat in Indian way. Vaathu Kari Kuzhambu. Tharavu Milagoottal.
Duck or goose meat is much gamier is taste. However, it shouldnt stop you from exploring(just in case, if you haven’t tasted it, yet)…I better warn you, one could get quite addicted to it very easily. Yep, it super delicious. Yumm to the core. It is prepared in many different ways.But, I personally like Thai style curry preparations and American whole roasted duck! Sometimes, you like them in your own way…yeah, the way your mommy dished it…when you were kid! So today, here I present the old fashioned way! This curry is best to go with steamed rice! No offence one could take it with Idly or Dosa too!
- Duck meat 1/2 kilo
- Red onion 1 large
- Garlic – 6 cloves, crushed
- Ginger – 2 inches, grated
- Tomatoes 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 spoon
- Chili powder – 1 spoon
- Pepper powder – 2 spoons
- Sesame oil – few spoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Cumin – 1 spoon
- Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in a wok. Stir-in onions, ginger-garlic and tomatoes. Fry for few minutes and them wet-grind them. Set aside.
- In the same wok, heat oil. Add mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Set them aside too.
- Now stir-in meat in the same oil. Add salt, turmeric and chili powder. Saute for few minutes. Maybe till the meat go opaque.
- Then add wet-ground paste to it. Add 4 cups of water. Cover and cook for an hour. Or you also pressure cook them for about 4 whistles.
- Then…when the meat is done, and gravy thickens, add pepper powder.
- Let the oil show up on sides and gravy thickens. Remove from heat.
- Serve to go with your Idly, Dosa, Appam, Iddiyappam, Chappathi, Roti or plain steamed rice.