Idly fry:(Vellore Style)
Nowadays….we could see this idly fry recipe so common in any restaurants. When I was a little girl, myself and my Dad used to go to Hotel Khanna for this dish! They make very good idly fry there. Very Red in color, spicy and fried makes it crispier, what not!
Actually mommy leaves me behind and goes to her mom’s (my grandma’s)place during summer vacation! So I get to roam with Dad so much! Well…I really liked to be at home! I get to have so much attention…Dad rushes back home in the evenning, between rings me 3-4 times….he used to take me to movies and we catch up nice dinner outside! Maybe too much of outside food back then… made me to go crazy for Restaurant recipes!
After being a frequent visitor there……One of the Chef from Hotel.Khana(Vellore) came home and taught me this recipe! Thanks to Mr. T! He also taught me couple of other restaurant recipes…..coming up soon, so stay tuned!
Well…today to be honest, this is not how it looks(the fried idly). I neither have here wet-grinder, lack of par-boiled rice(no Indian store for me at Mississippi:) poor me) and I don’t have Idly cooker! Imagine!!! I will be the only South Indian without Idly cooker! So….just follow the recipe and don’t even care about my photos here!
Fried Idly/Idlies . Chili Idly. Super Hot Fried Idlies.
Idly 8-10 numbers
Onion half kilo(finely chopped)
Green chillies 1 cup(finely chopped)
Tomato puree 1 cup
Mint leaves 1 large bowl full
Curry leaves 1 large bowl full
Red chili powder 1 spoon
Cinnamon sticks 5
Oil 3 cups
Red food color half spoon
Cashew nuts 1 cup (optional)
1. First prepare garam masala powder. Roast cinnamon and cloves for a while in dry pan and powder them in a blender.
2. Now pour 1 cup of oil in a pan and fry curry leaves crisply. Later fry green chillies crisply. fry cashew nuts in the same oil and set them aside.
3. In a large frying pan pour oil generously and fry onions. When the onions are about to turn golden brown add mint leaves and followed by tomato puree. Fry them until all water evaporates and oil shows up in the top.
4. Now add salt plus chili powder, food color and garam masala to the above.
5. To this mixture add idly pieces(make 4 pieces in each idly). Toss them carefully making sure of all sides of idly gets color. Fry them for a while.
6. Garnish the above with green chilies, curry leaves and cashew nuts.
Its an exellent Hot and Spicy evening tiffin. One can try this with left over idlies too.