Today’s how to’s is a simple recipe of homemade rice flour. Yet, very demanding ingredient in an Indian household. If you are already smart enough to prepare this at home…give yourself a quick pat on your back. Oh yes, you are not only saving money, also practicing a healthy lifestyle. We are using quite a number of ready made flours from the market for our everyday cooking; whether to coat the stuff or to thicken the sauce; to bind the appetizer or to dust the baking goods. However, if we choose wisely…its gonna get better! And, when compared to other gluten-rich flours, rice flour is far-far better for the same purpose. So, opting to prepare it at home is a terrific idea. And am positive, it will enable you to make a lot of Indian dishes than you would imagine.
How To Make Rice Flour
- Get raw rice from the market. The quality of the rice determines the quality of the flour.
- Wash and clean the rice in running tap water.
- Soak it in cold water overnight or at least for few hours.
- Drain the water and hold the rice in a colander.
- Now, spread this rice in a clean sheet or cheese cloth and allow it to dry. Sun drying is always a better option than shadow drying. During severe winter I also depend on oven-drying method (But, that’s something I wouldn’t suggest to others).
- Once its super-dry…blend them in a heavy-duty blender.
- Then, sieve the flour for larger particles and discard the same.
- The collected fine dust of rice flour is good for storing.
- Use it as you please. Enjoy cooking.